As essential as coffee is to all of us, that element that powers our work and our lives, hardly any of us have time to actually brew a complicated drink ourselves. And so we turn to single-serve brewers like Keurig machines to provide that quick boost. But when you’re looking for the right brewing system for your home, office, or business, striking the right balance between price, features, and quality can be tricky. Don’t worry, we did the research for you. We took a look at a classic pair of Keurig models, the Keurig K150 vs K155, and we’re happy to report that overall, the Keurig K150 is the best solution for your medium-volume brewing needs.
But maybe you want to make sure your coffee machine is best tailored to your unique preferences? Take a look as we break down all the pros and cons of the K150 vs K155 and decide for yourself!
Keurig offers two main single-serving brewing systems to the market, the Keurig K150 and the K155, but when you are deciding which may be best for your particular needs, you may be confused, asking yourself “Is there even a difference?” A comparison of the Keurig K150 vs K155 may seem like a contest without a clear winner, as both Keurig models are made to serve similar functions: commercial brewing for large groups, offices, independent coffee shops, etc. But when we take a closer look, it is clear that not all models are created equally. Let’s get into it!
The Keurig K150 means business. TThough it is the more expensive product in the K150 vs K155 debate and significantly larger, Keurig has thrown in some additional features that many users find critical to their brewing experience, such as direct water line compatiability if you choose to invest in the accompanying accessory.
The Keurig K155 is a great alternative to the K150. While both models have been around for a while and were introduced to the market around the same time, the K155 is meant to be the most cost-effective option, without some of the nice extra features, like the 12 oz. cup size of the K150, or the direct water line.
When choosing between Keurigs, make sure you know what you’re always getting, no matter the model. Both the K150 and K155 offer all the convenient features you’d look for in a single-serve machine, such as milk frothing, iced and hot settings, compatability with travel mugs, temperature control, and a high altitude setting.
Features face to face
We like to review valuable customer experiences using the Keurig K150 vs K155, as well as the listed features by Keurig. This leads us to several major categories of quality that will give you a good sense of what works for you:
Direct Water Line
Individual Cup Sizes
Tank Capcity (90 oz)
Touch Screen LED Display
It is good to know that whichever you choose, you get a large tank capacity of 90 oz., enough to brew about 18 cups, but the direct water line feature of the K150 eliminates any concern about refilling the water. And both have a crisp touch screen with a color LED display to make coffee selections. We were interested to see if taste varies between models, and some reviewers seem to think that the K155 needs a precursory wash to remove all metallic or plastic tastes and that after that, there may still be flavor issues.
All things considered, we have to say that the overall winner of the K150 vs K155 debate has to be the Keurig K150! The price increase, for a high volume commercial brewer, is warranted, as all the extra features will create a smoother and more efficient brewing experience for everyone in your office, home, or shop. The ability to brew a full 12 oz is important to serious coffee drinkers, and we definitely respect that. With a slightly higher satisfaction rating in almost all categories, the Keurig K150 gets our vote.
Stand out features
It is worth noting that the overall best may not be your best, and certain extra features brewing systems could make or break the deal for you. We found a few noteworthy features just in case:
Keurig K150: Quiet Brew Technology
- The K150 comes with Quiet Brew Technology, which, according to reviews, enables the K150 to brew in virtual silence. If you plan to purchase your brewing system for a noisy environment, this might not matter to you, maybe it even adds to the ambience. But for those in a quiet office or an early morning kitchen you might especially appreciate decreased distraction.
Keurig K155: Less Than 1 Minute Brew Time and Cloned Cups
- Though the K155 may not have as many extra features as the K150, it is guaranteed to brew your coffee or tea in under a minute, which might be more valuable to you than reduced noise or not having to fill the water reservoir.
- Some coffee users have found that they prefer the flavors and varieties of generic “K-cups” to the actual K-cups. It seems that though the K150 has some issues with reading labeling on these generic cups, the K155 has no issue with a little experimentation. Many users like to buy generic cups or reusable cups for their own beans.
As you decide which brewing system truly is right for you, keep in mind that features we explored and know that each system caters to different needs.
Use the Keurig K150 if:
- You have a high traffic workspace and expect heavy daily usage of the Keurig; the direct water line capability prevents the need to refill the water reservoir.
- Your workspace or business appreciates quiet or lack of disturbances. You will really value the Quiet Brew Technology.
- Your preferred brew size is 12 oz or greater; this will prevent you from making too many double servings and save time.
Sounds perfect for you? You can find the Keurig K150 here: Keurig K150
Use the Keurig K155 if:
- You are new to the single-serve brew scene and want a more affordable machine to try out the experience and better understand your coffee/tea preferences.
- You have very limited windows of time to take a coffee break and the quick brew time of the K155 appeals to you.
- You have a work or business that requires you to move your Keurig between locations – at only 6 pounds, it’s not trouble at all!
Is the Keurig K155 more your cup of tea? Get started here: Keurig K155
Looking for more coffee makers? Take a look at all our coffee maker reviews here.