If you’ve been thinking about buying a Keurig lately, but are overwhelmed by all the options on the market, never fear: there are some simple ways to tell if the Keurig K10 or K15 coffee maker is right for you, and which overall is your best buy.
If you are unfamiliar with the Keurig model, these coffee makers use coffee pods instead of grounds. These pods consist of a plastic cup. Inside the cup is an extraction filter filled with coffee grounds. Sealing the filter and grounds into the pod is a foil top.
When the pod is placed in a Keurig machine, a small hole is pierced in the foil top and the plastic bottom. Steaming hot water is pressed through the pods in the machine, directly into your mug. The process only takes a few minutes and guarantees a fresh, hot—or cold—cup of coffee as quickly as you need. When done, simply toss the pod.
Some models have a water reservoir hooked up to your piping that will auto refill. Other models, like the K10 and K15 will have you pour a mug of water in at the start of each brew. Either way, there’s only a few steps between you and that fresh delicious coffee when you wake up in the morning.
When comparing the K10 and K15, you must think of them as sequential iterations rather than competing products. The K15 was developed second.
The Keurig K10 is still available online in Banana Yellow, Flash Green, Poinciana Red, and Emerald Green. It measures about 10.8” x 6.9” x 10.7”
Brewing takes less than two minutes, and can made into 6 oz., 8 oz., and 10 oz. sizes. K-cups may be replaced with a reusable pod accessory such as My K-Cup.
One for sure downside to the K10 coffee maker s that there has been a recent recall on it and full discontinuation. At this point you would likely only be able to find used models or new models from third-party sellers. These older models may leak hot water/coffee during use. Keurig recommends: “You can continue to use your brewer. We recommend you avoid brewing more than two cups in rapid succes
The Keurig K15 is sold in many colors, including Greenery and Black Plum. It is one of the smallest Keurig coffee makers available at 10.8” x 6.9” x 10.7”.
The Keurig K15 coffee maker has a single use reservoir, meaning water must be poured in each time. It will make 6 oz., 8 oz. and 10 oz. cups of coffee.
The K15 is a safe coffeemaker, as it turns off after a minute and a half of no interaction, making it ideal for shared busy spaces like offices or dorm rooms.
One of the benefits of the K15 is that parts are still available as it is a current model being sold by Keurig. If, for instance, a new drip replacement drip tray is needed for the K15, it is available on the website.
When comparing Keurig K10 vs K15, it is important to keep in mind that they were sequential evolutions of the Keurig. The K15 is an improved model of the K10, so they share many of the same attributes such a small size (less than seven inches wide) and speed (two minutes to a freshly brewed cup of coffee!).
It’s worth reviewing the shared features and advantages of the Keurig brand that you get by purchasing either the K10 or the K15:
At this point, Keurig pod-coffee makers have become so ubiquitous that their K-cup style pods are being made by coffee companies all over who want to stay relevant to pod-using consumers. There’s are also hot cocoa and tea versions of K-cups to appeal to all sorts of warm beverage drinkers, even kids! When you make a cup of coffee for yourself in the morning, toss in a hot cocoa K-cup for your kid and enjoy sipping your morning brews together.
- Some of the brands currently selling K-cups are: Green Mountain, Dunkin’ Donuts, Donut Shop, Eight O’Clock, Folgers, Starbucks, Cinnabon, Newman’s Own, Caribou Coffee, Barista Prima Coffeehouse, Peet’s, Cafe Escapes, Krispy Kreme, Emeril, Gloria Jean’s, Tully’s Coffee, Kahlua, Swiss Miss, McCafe, Twinings, Panera, Celestial Seasonings, Cafe Bustelo, Laughing Man, LavAzza, Lipton, Revv, Bigelow, Gevalia, New England Coffee, Luzianne, Snapple, Tetley, Van Houtte, Diedrich, Timothy’s, illy, Cafe Punta del Cielo, Cafe Gila
- Examples of coffee roasts available: Tully’s Coffee French Roast, Starbucks Veranda Blend, Gloria Jean’s Hazelnut, Cafe Bustelo Colombia, Green Mountain Vermont Country Blend Decaf
- Examples of teas available: Celestial Seasonings Decaf Green Tea, Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Herbal Tea, Twinings Irish Breakfast, Twinings Pure Peppermint Herbal Tea, Celestial Seasonings Mandarin Orange Spice
- Examples of specialty beverages: Dunkin Donuts Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa, Green Mountain Hot Apple Cider
One of the major perks of using both the Keurig K10 or K15 coffee makers is the subscription service for coffee pods. You can modulate the delivery schedule as needed, and you will save 25% on each order of pod. With so many options to choose from—including variety packs of several brands and styles of coffees—this is a great deal.
Besides K-Cups, you can also get bags of ground coffee in their auto-delivery program. This is especially helpful for those who prefer to measure grounds into a reusable pod to cut down on waste.
- Recyclable pods: One of the biggest criticisms of coffeemakers like the K10 and K15’s were that the K-cup pods were just waste filling landfills. However, several years ago Keurig began making some recyclable pods. And now by the end of 2020 all of their pods will be recyclable. The pods are made of polypropylene as it is one of the most easily recyclable plastics for the average civic recycling program. Simply empty out your grounds, filter, and foil from the pod and drop the stamped #5 polypropylene outer wrapping in your recycling. These will be compatible with both the K10 and K15.
- Reusable pods: If you want to eliminate waste completely, consider snagging one of the reusable filters from the Keurig accessory lines, such as the My K-Cup Universal Reusable Coffee Filter or the My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter, both of which are compatible with K10 and K15 coffee makers. Simple directions show you how many grounds to fill the filter with. Place in coffee maker the same as a pod and allow the machine to take over, brewing your coffee in minutes.
Stand Out Features
One benefit of a discontinued line of coffee makers is that you may be able to find K10 models on the cheap as resellers offload unsold models and personal users look to upgrade to the newer versions.
If you are just dipping your toe into the waters of Keurig brewing, starting with an older, second-hand Keurig or discounted new one may be a great place to start.
Checking through third-party sellers on Amazon or second-sellers on eBay may find you a lower cost K10 quickly.
This is one of the features that the K15 will automatically win out on. Keurig does sell spare parts, but after several years of being off the shelf, the K10 may be more difficult to find parts for.
Efficiency and Safety
The standout feature of the K15 is—quite obviously—that it works. Whereas the K10 had some technical issues that forced a recall and necessitated the development of the more fully-realized K15, the K15 has been the new and improved model from thes start. No need to worry about hot beverages leaking or needing to stand an arm’s length away from this model.
In the battle of Keurig K10 vs K15, the conclusion is simple in that the market has already decided on a winner: the Keurig K15. The fact that it still exists and that you could easily find repair/parts for it or simply buy it brand new from Keurig makes it the standout in this fight.
The Keurig K15 is right for…
If you are looking for a small Keurig that you can purchase new and have support from Keurig regarding repairs, the Keurig K15 is the one to choose.
The Keurig K15 is great for
- college students in dorm rooms
- office workers
- those living with limited counter space.
It is particularly great for those who only need one cup of coffee made at a time, such as a person living alone or the only coffee drinker in the house.
If you are looking to purchase a Keurig 15 coffee maker you can find them on the Keurig site, or retailers like Amazon and Target.
The Keurig K10 is right for…
The Keurig K10 coffee maker is good for those looking for a discounted, used, or older brand Keurig to try out. It is important, of course, to remember the recall and use any older versions of the K10 safely.
If you are looking to purchase a Keurig K10, you can check sites like Amazon to seek if they still have models listed.
Looking for more coffee makers? Take a look at all our coffee maker reviews here.